Application Period Has Closed
Job Title: Executive Director, J.E.D.I Collaborative
Classification: Full time
J.E.D.I Collaborative, a project of OSC seeks an Executive Director to take this newly launched non profit to the next level. Our mission is to build bridges in the natural products industry that lead to an anti-racist eco-system. Our focus is on CPG, retail and food service sectors where we elevate the unique needs of Black, Indigenous and Latino/a/x people, who have been disproportionately harmed by racist practices, creating wide disparities in health, wealth and well-being. Companies, entrepreneurs, and partner organizations engage with the J.E.D.I Collaborative platform to elevate the quality and impact of their work in creating just, equitable, diverse, and inclusive work environments, supply chain and healthy local economies.
We have built a foundation of support and engagement from leadership and organizations across the natural products industry and are seeking a leader to guide the ongoing impact and success of the work. The position will have the support of the 4 co-founders, an outstanding programming leader, and network of solutions partners. Base level funding for 2021 and part of 2022 is established, but the ED will be responsible for securing additional funding to grow the scope of the work and bring on additional resources. The ED will be instrumental in helping to structure and build the ongoing J.E.D.I Collaborative governance infrastructure. www.JEDICollaborative.com
Executive Duties & Responsibilities
- Build on the current J.E.D.I Collaborative vision and framework to create and implement a short-term and long-term strategic plan for membership growth and industry relevance and support
- Develop and lead strategy to engage industry business owners and leaders in programs, initiatives, and activities to end systemic racism in workforce, supply chain, distribution and market practices
- Develop and implement strategy to engage BIPOC and LatinX Natural Products community in participating in J.E.D.I programs and benefit offerings
- Develop and implement communications strategy that includes social media, PR, marketing campaigns, conferences and events, and strategic partnerships to support outreach and build industry level awareness
- Develop goals and methods for measurement of success of fundraising, outreach, and programming
Fundraising and Outreach
- Lead 2021 fundraising with support of co-founders, OSC, and J.E.D.I Collaborative board- both corporate donations and non profit donations from foundations and individuals
- Lead Natural products, supplements, CPG industry outreach with support of New Hope and OSC
- Serve on J.E.D.I investor task force to bring funding to marginalized entrepreneurs
- Expand the J.E.D.I network of solutions partners with a focus on partners with a marginalized identity
- Serve as active leader, voice, and facilitator in industry level programming and our learning circles
- Nurture current solutions partners identified as critical partners for better integration, such as developing ways to ensure they are highlighted in our work so their companies become engaged
- Identify and develop partnerships with other nonprofits to support JEDI work in the natural products industry, especially those led by people with marginalized identities such as Project Potuck, [included], etc
Budgeting and administration
- Build out staffing and team based on strategic planning and funding
- Responsible for budgeting annually and monthly reconciliations with support of and bookkeeping
- Establish regular meeting cadence with board members and co-founders
- Implement business tools and CRM programs to implement strategic plan and ongoing programming
- Develop and oversee communications calendar
- Maintain organizational website in a timely manner, ensure ADA compliance
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience as BIPOC or Latinx person living in America
- Expertise as a DEI professional with cutting edge thought leadership about JEDI/DEI that will lead to long lasting change
- Network of foundations and other philanthropic organizations
- Strong skills in building compelling programming, particularly programming that can be monetized
- Track record of being able to translate vision and strategies into priorities, programming and concrete outcomes
- Creative problem solver
- Successfully raised non profit donations and corporate donations
- Strong communicator
- Good opportunity radar for building relationships, collaborating and bridge building in ways that create value for both parties
- Ability to prioritize and manage work-flow in a fast-changing environment, delegate work efficiently, and provide clear direction to multiple project managers
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a diverse team and nurture an inclusive culture for peers in internal and external environments
- Goal oriented
- Comfortable working in a responsible, accountable, and transparent culture
- Experience running a membership non profit organization and its board of directors
- P&L responsibility
- Deep diverse network of investors, entrepreneurs, and food disparity activities
- Experience in the natural products industry
- Excellent writing skills
- Experience with the following platforms preferred
- GSuite (Drive, Calendar, Gmail)
- Survey Monkey
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum of 8 years relevant work experience. MS preferred.
Time and Location Requirements
This is a full time position. Candidate provides their own computer, wireless service and phone for the position. Most meetings will take place Pacific and Mountain Standard time. Travel to conferences is a part of the position (estimated 3-6 times per year) when safe and possible.
Commensurate with experience and will grow with success of organization. Benefits allowance available.
J.E.D.I Collaborative Vision J.E.D.I Collaborative envisions a world where food is a source of nourishment, health and wellness for everyone, not a source of injustice, inaccessibility or racist disparities in health outcomes.
J.E.D.I Mission: Our mission is to build bridges that lead to an antiracist food system. We build two kinds of bridges. First we build bridges that increase entrepreneurship in BIPOC communities so that they can create and own the healthy food, beverage and supplement solutions in their communities. Second, we build bridges that expand and support BIPOC leadership in existing CPG, retail and food service companies, so that they can transform the industry from within.
J.E.D.I Focus: In all of our work, we are focused on the CPG, retail and food service sectors of the healthy food, beverage and supplements industry. In addition, we elevate the unique needs of Black, Indigenous and Latino/a/x people, who have been disproportionately impacted by racism, and we recognize and address the unique ways that racism intersects with sexism, homophobia and classism.
ABOUT OSC: JEDI Collaborative is a project of One Step Closer (OSC). OSC is a membership based network of CEOs and Leaders in the natural products industry. Our collective action brings us One Step Closer to manifesting our common vision of a more regenerative, just and prosperous world. Through the support and engagement of mission driven leaders and organizations, we have launched 3 industry collaboratives that address some of the most pressing challenges of our time. The Packaging Collaborative, Climate Collaborative, and most recently, J.E.D.I Collaborative.